"On Becoming A Doctor" Part 1

On Becoming a Doctor by Tania Heller, she informs you and guides you on advice on what study of field and how to become a doctor in the medical field. This Non-fictional book had three different sections, starting with the Prologue; then moving onto the interviews. Lastly, Heller has another section for a review. In the Prologue, she conversates with other doctors.
In chapter 3 of the Prologue, Tania shares the requirements for medical school. She talks about how undergraduates can have courses to visualize how much experience you need to be internally in the medical field and externally out of it. Heller says, “You will need to complete at least 120 hours of course credits and/or obtain a bachelor’s degree prior to entering medical school” (pg. 17, paragraph 1). She also explains that even though some schools in the U.S. combine undergraduate and medical programs together most require a four-year completion in the undergraduate program.
In the last part of the Prologue, Heller talks about how important the responsibility is for the “The Hippocratic Oath”, which is an oath that every medic has to say and remember after graduating for the rest of their medical career. This chapter also conversates about the women in the medical field. Tania then interviewed two female doctors about their experiences on being a woman in the medical field. They mostly explained that they were not taking seriously. As Dr. Baumslag said, “I received a letter which read: ‘Dear Miss Baumslag: If you should fall pregnant, you should expect to stop attending class.” (pg. 94, paragraph 1). Even though, she didn’t get taken seriously, women today are in the medical field are mostly treated well and respected.

Heller, Tania. On Becoming a Doctor: Everything You Need to Know about Medical School, Residency, Specialization, and Practice. Sourcebooks, 2009.

Comments

  1. Well written. Excellent use of evidence. You have improved as a writer. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose to comment on your blog because I like the title. I am thinking about doing some kind of work in the medical field myself. I think this would be an interesting read to find out more. I'm not sure if I want to go to school that long but maybe. I feel like you do about how people feel towards women doctors nowadays. I think it really depends on how well you know your job. I think it also depends on how you treat your patients.Maybe I'll check it out! Good job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the way you started out your first paragraph. I agree with Mrs Stansbury that it was well written. I also like that you cited your information. I would suggest to give your reaction and how you felt after you read that in order to become a doctor you need complete at least 120 hours of course credits and/or obtain a bachelor’s degree prior to entering medical school. I would write how I felt if I were to be put in that situation. Would I be able to do 120 hours of credits would It be stress full. Your was more of a summary of what happened in that section of the book. Other then that I thought you blog was great. I hope you enjoy and learn from the book as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E.I., It sounds like your reviewers are interested in the book. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"On Becoming A Doctor" Part 3

"On Becoming A Doctor" Part 2